We don’t often give our eyes as much thought as we should, that is until something goes wrong and our vision is affected. But when you learn more about eyes, you realize just how amazing they are. Here are a few facts you may enjoy:
1.The pupil of your eye expands as much as 45% when you look at someone you love.
2. One in every 12 males is colour blind.
3. Brown eyes are actually blue underneath the brown pigment, and as a result there exists a laser procedure to turn brown eyes blue permanently.
4. Your eye will focus on about 50 things per second.
5.The Mayans believed that cross-eyes were attractive, and would make efforts to ensure their children became cross-eyed.
6. You see with your brain, not with your eyes. In many cases, blurry or poor vision isn’t caused by the eye at all. It stems from something going wrong in the visual cortex of the brain.
7. Humans and dogs are the only species known to see visual cues from another individual’s eyes, and dogs only do this when interacting with humans.
8. About 2% of women have a rare genetic mutation that provides them with an extra retinal cone in their eyes.This allows them to see 100 million colors!
9. There are colors that are too complex for the human eye to perceive, called ‘Impossible colors’
10. The eye’s lens is quicker than any camera’s.
11. Blind people, as long as they weren’t born blind, can see their dreams.
12. While it takes some time for most parts of your body to warm up to their full potential, your eyes are always active, 24/7.
13. Ten thousand years ago, everyone’s eyes were brown until someone developed a genetic mutation that made their eyes blue. This means that if your eyes are blue, you share a common ancestor with every blue-eyed individual in the world! .